Tuesday, May 23, 2006

 

What's Magic?


The other day I was feeding the Mixmaster and the G-Man some Mac and Cheese for dinner and, being the fully conscientious parent that I am, I had mixed some peas in it for greenery. And because, frankly, feeding straight Mac and Cheese to my boys makes me feel guilty, as much as caving in to their demands for Happy Meals makes me feel guilty (I'm afraid that one of them might end up like of Don Gorse, that guy in "Supersize Me" who's eaten a Big Mac every day since 1972), I have to mix in something pseudo "nutritious" with Mac and Cheese to make it palatable to, yes, my conscience.

Anyhow, the problem with the above scenario is that if the boys catch on to it, it backfires. "Dad, what the hell are these? I thought we were having Mac and Cheese! Mac and Cheese doesn't have little balls in it that taste like - yuck - vegetables! I'M NOT EATING THIS CRAP!" So, being the fully conscientious parent that I am, I offer an explanation to this reasoning: "Son, those are magic peas."

Which, as you can imagine, always works. What kid doesn't want to eat magic peas, right? And last week it didn't work, as usual. But then the Mixmaster said something that belies his five long years on this earth and made me stop and ponder for quite a while. His response to my magic peas? "Dad, there's nothing magic in this whole world."

Now literally, we all know that's true. But figuratively, it's not true at all. And I'd like to be able to tell him that, without it being a total "Daddy Lecture" which, more often than not, gets tuned out faster than a Captain and Tennille song in my Jeep. So here's what I'd like to do. Let's start a list. On this blog. Please comment with things that are 'magic' to you. After a month or two of commenting, I'll print the comments out and put it in his 'box' where we keep all the souvenirs of his early life. That way, when he's older and really feels that there's nothing magic in this whole world, he can pull the list out and get some good examples of what is truly magic. And, maybe, some perspective as well.

I'll start. And I'll add more later:

----------------------------------------

Springtime is magic, especially the part where you can spend a day putting fresh plants into the ground in hopes that this year your green thumb shows itself instead of your black thumb.

River pools are magic.

An appreciative look from somebody you care about is magic.

A smile from somebody you've never seen before is magic.

Watching real live trains with your children is magic.

Learning how to play a musical instrument is magic.

Comedy improvisation, when it's good, is magic. When it's bad, it's torture.

Live theater, when it's good, is magic. When it's bad, it's torture.

Neil Finn songs are magic.

Comments:
A good orgasm is magic. Of course, you may want to wait on that one. I love this idea. I'm going to ponder it some more and get back to you.

Ooo! Dissing 50 Cent is magic!
 
HEY! I just realized you dissed C&T again. NOT MAGIC, mister!
 
Don't forget those pretty rainbows in the sky. If that's not majic, I just don't know what is.
 
Okay, I have a couple of serious ones.

Creating something that makes others happy be it a catchy song, a funny joke or an engaging novel is magic even it's a clay ashtray and your parents don't even smoke. (At that point, call it a candy bowl and you're good to go).

And as cheesy as it may sound there is nothing more magical than a hug.
 
Here's a deep thought:

If "magic" were commonplace, it wouldn't be magic.
 
If "magic" were commonplace, would the world be a better place?

Hell, I gotta write a song with that exact sentence in it. 'Cuz that's goooooood.
 
The last 5 minutes of a close hockey game are magic. I just watched Buffalo v. Carolina and the last 5 minutes of the game were almost as intense as a good orgasm. I wanted a sandwich and a cigarette afterwards.

A sandwich after an orgasm is magic.
 
Hey, I demand a songwriting credit on that line!
 
Your mom. Your mom is magic. Every single night.

And that comment is magic. Cuz you can actually put it in the list for the boys.
 
The Stanley Cup Finals are magical. No matter who's playing.
 
Having your 3 year old son ask "where's the penalty box?" while watching a basketball game (he's a big hockey fan) is truly magical.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blog Flux Directory