Thursday, December 14, 2006

 

When At Holiday Parties, Do As Holiday Partyers Do


Well, the holiday party season is upon us. And, being that I'm married to a Career Woman (she can bring home the bacon, fry it up in a pan, and go to Canada to get the kind I like, too!), we go to holiday parties. Actually, we had one at our house a couple of weeks ago, which was surreal. There were 50 people in my house. And, a couple of times through the evening, they were all in the same room. Which was cool. I wish I had taken a picture, because it reminded me of one of those pictures from the 1950s where they'd cram as many college students as they could into a phone booth.

But, like Canadian Bacon, I digress. We've gone to several holiday parties this year, to be honest, because it's important politically to play that game. After all, Mrs. C has to maintain her high level job so that I can sit around the house all day noshing on Canadian Bacon and bon bons. Which don't come from Canada, I don't think. They're probably French. Or something.

But, again, I digress. So we've gone to several parties and, at one of these parties, I mentioned to somebody that I went to college in San Luis Obispo, California, and they started talking about wines, because that's an up and coming wine area and they are a big wine fan. Now, understand, I don't know dick about wines. Not that wines don't have dicks; they might. I certainly know that flowers do, now (see "Question of the Day" post below). Anyhow, so, where were we? Right. Holiday parties. And nothing like standing around talking about wine all night with a bunch of strangers. Especially when I don't know anything about them. That's where my improv skills come in handy. "Yes, the 1995 Wild Horse Pinot had a hint of the oak barrel in its flavor, while the 1996 Pinot was burdened with flavors of cat piss and donuts. Which, when you're 21 and in college, is a treat for the palate, but as you get older, you come to terms with the fact that donuts are an unsophisticated cuisine. Now where are those canapies?"

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Blog Flux Directory